Lost password?

Authentic Battle Of Gettysburg Relics From The Weikert Farm


Authentic Battle Of Gettysburg Relics From The Weikert Farm

Click to enlarge

Description

weikert G.
6 Authentic Civil War relics recovered from the George Weikert Farm in Gettysburg, PA. The color of mat and picture may vary. The relics will vary from piece to piece. Every one will contain at least one bullet and 5 other relics. Matted and framed with a Riker frame, each one is unique. We will pick the best one from our inventory. A great group of relics. The relics were recovered before Gettysburg was a National Park and is 100% legal to own. The Weikert farm is a very historic spot. It is behind Little Round Top. The George Weikert farm is at the corner where United States Avenue, Sedgwick Avenue and Slocum Avenue come together. It is one of several Weikert farms in the area at the time of the battle, with three belonging to George’s sons and another to a distant cousin. There is also a George W. Weikert farm, also known as the Timbers farm, south of Brooke Avenue.
George Weikert was born around 1801 and moved to the Gettysburg area from Maryland in 1838. He bought the 78 acre farm north of Little Round Top in 1852.
George and his family left the farm during the fighting. Afterwards they returned to scenes of desolation familiar to many Gettysburg residents. The house was a field hospital, with wounded filling the parlor and amputated arms and legs piled outside the windows. According to family history, six men died just in the parlor, and the yard was filled with graves. When the buried were exhumed to be placed in the National Cemetery, the missing parlor rug was found, cut into strips as the top and bottom layers of the burial trench.
After the battle the farm was purchased by survivors of the New Jersey Brigade to preserve the land that the brigade held during the battle. The New Jersey Brigade’s monument is about 200 yards east of the Weikert farmhouse. The farm today is owned by the National Park Service.


ss