Original WWII German RAD SERVICE UNIT ASSIGNMENT SLEEVE SHIELD. (Dienststellenabzeichen) Certified
Original WWII German RAD SERVICE UNIT ASSIGNMENT SLEEVE SHIELD. (Dienststellenabzeichen) Certified. The basis of the RAD, “Reichs Arbeitsdienst” (National Labor-service), dates back, at least, to 1929 with the formation of the AAD, “Anhalt Arbeitsdienst” (Anhalt Labor-service), and the FAD-B, “Freiwillingen Arbeitsdienst-Bayern” (Volunteer Labor-service [of]-Bavaria). Shortly after Hitler’s appointment as Chancellor, on January 30th, 1933, the NSDAP consolidated these, and other labor organizations, into the NSAD, “Nationalsozialist Arbeitsdienst” (National-socialist Labor-service); a national labor service. In June of 1935 the NSAD was re-designated RAD. In July of the same year RAD service became compulsory, with all German citizens between 19 and 25 years of age required to enlist for a six month term. This law also decreed that all military conscripts serve a nine month term. A 65mm x 80mm black rayon base to a machine woven black shield, upon which is woven an inverted white spade head, with “261” and “5”, both in red, woven to it. The use of a black, rather than an earth-brown, shield indicates that the insignia was worn between August of 1933 and April of 1941. The white, rather than silver, coloration of the spade head indicates that it was worn by a non-commissioned rank. The larger red number indicates the “Gruppe” (Group) that the wearer was attached to, while the smaller number underneath indicate his “Abteilung” (Section) within it. This arm shield would have been worn on the left upper arm of the uniform. Machine woven to the top of its rayon base, in white threads, is “RADJ” within an inverted triangle, “G.& W.” beneath it, and “Ges.” and “Gesch.,” for “Gesetzlich Geschützt” (By-law Protected), to either side of it. Uniform removed. 100% guaranteed to be authentic complete museum documentation (COA) provided. An amazing historical artifact! See our other pieces on our web site. RARE! Don’t miss this!