Original WWII German WAFFEN-SS CROATIAN VOLUNTEER’S SLEEVE SHIELD. (Landeschilde) Certified
Original WWII German WAFFEN-SS CROATIAN VOLUNTEER’S SLEEVE SHIELD. (Landeschilde) Certified. As early as 1938 Reichsführer-SS Heinrich Himmler and the Allgemeine-SS, (General-SS), began recruiting volunteer “Germanische”, (Germanic), personnel who were considered to be suitably “Nordic”, to serve in the SS-VT, SS-Verfügungstruppe, (SS-Special Purpose Troops). Originally these Germanic personnel were drawn from Dutch, Belgian, Danes and Norwegians but with only minor success. In March 1940 with the formation of the Waffen-SS recruitment of the Germanic personnel began to increase slightly and with the outbreak of WWII additional Germanic volunteers came forward to join the ranks of the Waffen-SS. The invasion of the Balkans in 1941 brought forward another pool of suitable Volksdeutsche, (Ethnic Germans), personnel available for voluntary enlistment in the Waffen-SS. The invasion of Russia on June 22ND 1941 and the war against Bolshevism resulted in the Waffen-SS experiencing another surge in recruits willing to serve with the Germans. As the war continued and man-power shortages became severe the standard criteria for acceptance into the Waffen-SS was decreased dramatically and numerous personnel who would have been unacceptable in 1939 were readily conscripted into service with the Waffen-SS. By the end of the war more then half of all the personnel serving in the Waffen-SS were non-Germans. On February 10TH 1943 Hitler ordered the formation of a new Waffen-SS Division to be manned by volunteers from the Independent State of Croatia. This new division would eventually evolve into the 13.Waffen-Gebirgs-Division der SS “Handschar” (kroat.Nr.1). On April 30TH 1943, while the division was forming, authorization was given for the introduction of a distinctive national sleeve shield to be worn on the upper right sleeve of the uniform by all divisional personnel. Although the introductory order stipulated that the insignia was to be worn on the upper right sleeve, photographic evidence shows it was commonly worn on the upper left sleeve positioned below the SS sleeve eagle. Roughly, 65mm tall, 60mm wide, German manufactured, black wool construction, officially sanctioned pattern insignia features a flat topped, rounded bottom, shield shape base with a machine embroidered repeating red and white checkerboard pattern shield with a pointed tip bottom. The shield is in overall very good, unissued condition. In very good condition. Nice used example showing the expected but mild storage age and wear . 100% Guaranteed to be authentic Brought home by a U.S. solider as a trophy of war. Complete museum documentation (COA) Provided. Certified by The Gettysburg Museum of History. The Gettysburg Museum of History does not support or condone Adolf Hitler or the Nazi Party and is only offering this as a historic relic. Please see our other items. Also note when browsing our web site there are several pages of items, at the bottom of the list look for other page numbers. SS Insignia is very Scarce and Desirable to Collectors and Historians! Don’t Miss It!